Borescopes vs Boresnakes
Learn about two common gun cleaning tools: borescopes and boresnakes
A borescope is a device that allows you to inspect the inside of a gun's barrel. It consists of a long, thin tube with a lens at one end and a light source at the other. You insert the tube into the barrel of the gun and look through the eyepiece to examine the interior of the barrel. Borescopes are often used to identify any dirt, debris, or corrosion that may be present and can also be used to check for any damage to the rifling or the crown of the barrel.
A boresnake, on the other hand, is a flexible cord with a brush and a cleaning cloth attached. Keep reading to learn how to use boresnake. You simply drop the weighted end of the cord into the breech of the gun and pull it through the barrel using the attached handle. As the cord travels through the barrel, the brush loosens any debris or fouling, while the cleaning cloth removes it. Boresnakes are a quick and easy way to clean the barrel of a gun and are often used as a substitute for more traditional cleaning methods.
It is important to maintain firearm barrels for several reasons. Here are a few:
- Accuracy: A clean and well-maintained barrel can help improve the accuracy of your firearm. Dirt, debris, or corrosion in the barrel can negatively impact the trajectory of the bullet, leading to decreased accuracy.
- Safety: A dirty or obstructed barrel can be dangerous, as it can cause pressure to build up behind the bullet, leading to malfunctions or even accidents.
- Longevity: Regular maintenance can help prolong the life of your firearm. Dirt and debris can cause wear and tear on the barrel, leading to damage that can be difficult or even impossible to repair.
- Consistency: By maintaining your barrel, you can ensure that your firearm is consistent in terms of performance. A clean barrel will provide consistent results, shot after shot.
Ultimately, maintaining your firearm's barrel is an essential part of responsible gun ownership. It not only improves performance but also helps ensure safety and longevity.
A borescope, or rifle borescope, is a device that allows you to inspect the inside of a gun's barrel or the inside of any other narrow and hard-to-reach spaces. It consists of a long, thin tube with a lens at one end and a light source at the other. The tube is typically flexible, allowing it to be maneuvered around bends and tight spaces.
To use a borescope, you insert the tube into the opening of the space you want to inspect, such as the muzzle of a gun's barrel. The light source at the end of the tube illuminates the space, while the lens captures images or video that can be viewed on a screen or eyepiece at the other end of the device. Some borescopes also have a built-in camera that allows you to capture images or videos for later analysis.
Borescopes come in a variety of sizes and configurations, depending on their intended use. Some are designed specifically for inspecting gun barrels, while others may be used for examining engine cylinders, pipes, or other narrow spaces.
In conclusion, borescopes are a useful tool for inspecting and diagnosing issues in hard-to-reach spaces. They allow you to see areas that would otherwise be impossible to view, making them invaluable in many industries, including manufacturing, automotive, and aerospace, as well as gunsmithing and firearm maintenance.
There are several pros and cons to using borescopes for firearm maintenance. Here are a few:
- Accuracy: Borescopes provide a detailed and accurate view of the inside of a gun barrel, allowing you to identify any dirt, debris, or corrosion that may be present. This can help you clean your firearm more thoroughly and efficiently.
- Efficiency: Using a borescope can save time, as it allows you to quickly identify any issues that may be present, such as a fouled barrel or damage to the rifling. This can help you prioritize your cleaning tasks and avoid unnecessary work.
- Versatility: Borescopes can be used for a variety of tasks, including inspecting the barrel, checking the chamber, and examining the firing pin. This makes them a versatile tool for gunsmiths and firearm enthusiasts alike.
- Cost: Borescopes can be expensive, especially high-end models with advanced features. This can be a barrier to entry for some gun owners. Teslong is the first manufacturer that brings high-tech digital video borescopes to everyday gun enthusiasts for a price that can’t be beaten. What once was a tool reserved for gunsmiths or elite consumers can now be purchased and used by everyone.
- Learning curve: Using a borescope requires some practice and patience, as it can be challenging to navigate the tube through the barrel and interpret the images or video that are captured.
- Maintenance: Borescopes require maintenance and care to ensure they function properly. This includes regular cleaning and calibration, which can be time-consuming and costly.
Although borescopes can be a useful tool for firearm maintenance, they do have some drawbacks. Consider your needs and budget before investing in a borescope, and be prepared to put in the time and effort to learn how to use it effectively.
There are several types of borescopes available, each with its own set of features and applications. Here are a few of the most common types:
- Rigid borescopes: Rigid borescopes are made of a solid metal or plastic tube and are typically used for inspecting straight or slightly curved spaces. They are the most affordable and durable type of borescope, but they are less flexible than other types and may not be suitable for inspecting tight spaces.
- Flexible borescopes: Flexible borescopes are made of a flexible tube with a bendable tip, allowing you to inspect spaces with multiple bends or curves. They are more versatile than rigid borescopes, but they can be more fragile and require more care during use.
- Video borescopes: Video borescopes have a built-in camera that captures images or video of the inspected space, which can be viewed on a screen or monitor. They provide a high level of detail and are often used for tasks that require close inspection or documentation.
- Fiberscope: Fiberscopes are a type of borescope that use fiber optic technology to transmit images from the tip of the scope to a viewing device. They are highly flexible and can be used for a wide range of applications, including medical procedures and industrial inspections.
- UV borescopes: UV borescopes use ultraviolet light to illuminate the inspected space, making it easier to detect certain types of flaws or defects, such as cracks or corrosion.
Overall, the type of borescope you choose will depend on your specific needs and the type of space you need to inspect. Consider factors such as flexibility, image quality, and durability when selecting a borescope for your application. Teslong builds rigid and flexible borescopes that record digital video and photos with accessories including side-view mirrors to fit gun calibers ranging from .22 up to .50 barrels. Teslong borescopes are available as free-standing units as well as models that work over Wi-Fi and USB to connect to your phone or other mobile devices.
A boresnake is a type of firearm cleaning tool that is used to clean the barrel of a gun. It consists of a long, flexible cord with a weighted brass end and a brush embedded in the cord. To use a boresnake, you feed the weighted end through the barrel of the gun, then pull the cord through the barrel, which causes the brush to scrub the inside of the barrel. Boresnake cleaning instructions are simple and fast.
The design of the boresnake allows it to clean the barrel in a single pass, removing dirt, debris, and fouling from the rifling. This makes it a fast and convenient way to clean your gun, as it eliminates the need for multiple passes with cleaning patches or brushes. Additionally, the flexible cord and brush design of the boresnake makes it effective for cleaning all types of gun barrels, including those with tight bends or curves.
Boresnakes are available in a variety of sizes and calibers to accommodate different types of firearms, and they are typically reusable and easy to clean. They are a popular choice for gun owners who want a fast and convenient cleaning tool that is easy to use and maintain. However, it's worth noting that while boresnakes can be effective for removing dirt and debris from the barrel, they may not be as effective as more traditional cleaning methods at removing stubborn fouling or corrosion.
There are several pros and cons to using bore snakes for firearm maintenance. Here are a few:
- Convenience: Boresnakes are a quick and convenient way to clean the barrel of a firearm. They can be easily used in the field or at the range, and they eliminate the need for multiple passes with cleaning patches or brushes.
- Reusability: Boresnake cleaning kits are typically reusable and can be cleaned and reused multiple times, making them a cost-effective choice for gun owners.
- Versatility: Boresnakes are available in a variety of sizes and calibers to accommodate different types of firearms. They can be used to clean all types of gun barrels, including those with tight bends or curves.
- Limited cleaning ability: While boresnakes can effectively remove dirt and debris from the barrel, they may not be as effective as traditional cleaning methods at removing stubborn fouling or corrosion.
- May not replace traditional cleaning: Some gun owners prefer to use a combination of boresnakes and traditional cleaning methods for the most effective cleaning results.
- Maintenance: Boresnakes require regular cleaning and maintenance to ensure they function properly. They should be washed and dried after each use, and periodically replaced if they become worn or damaged.
Although boresnakes can be a useful tool for firearm maintenance, they do have some limitations. Consider your needs and preferences when choosing a cleaning method for your firearms.
Boresnake cleaning kits are available in a variety of sizes and types to accommodate different types of firearms. Here are a few of the most common types:
- BoreSnake Viper: The BoreSnake Viper is a popular type of bore snake that features a built-in bronze brush and multiple cleaning surfaces to effectively remove fouling and debris from the barrel.
- Den: The Den boresnake is a compact, lightweight cleaning tool that can be easily carried in a pocket or range bag. It is designed for use with a variety of firearms, including rifles, shotguns, and handguns.
- M-16 and AR-15 Boresnake: This type of bore-snake is specifically designed for use with M-16 and AR-15 rifles. It features a built-in bronze brush and a long, flexible cord for effective cleaning.
- Shotgun Boresnake: Shotgun boresnakes are designed for use with shotguns and feature a longer, thicker cord and a larger, more robust brush to effectively remove fouling from the barrel.
- Pistol Boresnake: Pistol boresnakes are designed for use with handguns and feature a shorter, more compact cord and brush for easy use in tight spaces.
- Rifle Boresnake: Rifle bore-snakes are designed for use with rifles and feature a longer, more flexible cord and brush to accommodate the longer barrel length and rifling.
Overall, the type of boresnake you choose will depend on the type of firearm you need to clean and your personal preferences for cleaning tools.
Comparison between Borescopes and Boresnakes
Here's a comparison between borescopes and boresnakes:
- Borescopes are generally more expensive than boresnakes, with prices ranging from $50 to $500 and up depending on the quality and features.
- Boresnakes, on the other hand, are relatively inexpensive, with prices ranging from $10 to $30.
Ease of use:
- Borescopes require some training and practice to use effectively. They involve attaching the scope to a device and maneuvering it through the barrel of the firearm to inspect for fouling and other issues.
- Boresnakes, on the other hand, are easy to use and require minimal training. Simply feed the weighted end through the barrel and pull it through to clean.
- Borescopes are very effective at detecting fouling and other issues inside the barrel of a firearm, but they do not actually clean the barrel.
- Boresnakes are effective at removing dirt and debris from the barrel, but may not be as effective as more traditional cleaning methods at removing stubborn fouling or corrosion.
Advantages and Disadvantages:
- Borescopes are great for inspecting the barrel of a firearm and identifying issues that may need further cleaning or repair. However, they can be expensive and require some training to use effectively.
- Boresnakes are a convenient and cost-effective way to clean the barrel of a firearm, but may not be as effective as more traditional cleaning methods at removing stubborn fouling or corrosion.
Ultimately, both borescopes and boresnakes have their advantages and disadvantages. Borescopes are great for inspecting the barrel of a firearm, but are more expensive and require some training to use effectively. Boresnakes are a convenient and cost-effective way to clean the barrel of a firearm, but may not be as effective as more traditional cleaning methods at removing stubborn fouling or corrosion.
Shop Teslong Borescopes Now
In summary, borescopes and boresnakes are two popular tools for firearm maintenance. Borescopes are more expensive and require some training to use effectively, but are great for inspecting the barrel of a firearm and identifying issues that may need further cleaning or repair. Boresnakes, on the other hand, are a convenient and cost-effective way to clean the barrel of a firearm, but may not be as effective as more traditional cleaning methods at removing stubborn fouling or corrosion. Ultimately, the choice between these two tools will depend on the specific needs of the user and the type of firearm being cleaned.
We personally recommend that whether you use a bore snake or other cleaning method to clean your barrel, you should always use a borescope to verify that the barrel is clean. The best way to know a firearm barrel is clean is to see it with your own eyes and not just judge a patch that you pushed through the barrel.
Proper firearm maintenance is essential for ensuring the safe and reliable operation of firearms. Without regular maintenance, dirt, debris, and corrosion can build up inside the barrel and other components, which can lead to malfunctions, decreased accuracy, and potentially dangerous situations. By properly cleaning and lubricating firearms, owners can ensure that their firearms function as intended, are safe to use, and have a longer lifespan.
Additionally, regular maintenance can help identify potential issues before they become major problems, which can save time and money in the long run. In short, proper firearm maintenance is a critical component of responsible firearm ownership and helps to ensure the safety of the user and those around them. For more information, see our article "How often should you clean your barrel."
Teslong makes a range of high-quality and affordable borescopes. Some models are very simple and just connect to your own mobile devices via USB or WiFi connections. Stand-alone units include their own screen, battery, and lighting system to operate just about anywhere. Take a look at the lineup of their firearms products here: Rifle Borescope: Best Borescope for Rifle Barrels | Teslong
Other Rifle Cleaning Articles:
Explore Teslong Products:
Original price ¥0 - Original price ¥0Original price ¥0¥29,500 - ¥34,800¥29,500 - ¥34,800Current price ¥29,500
TESLONG NTS500産業用内視鏡は、IP67防水等級で、3500mAhリチウムイオン充電式バッテリーを搭載した5インチHD強化ガラススクリーンを備えた最高級の内視鏡モニターです。これは、機械的検査、車の修理、配管の修理、電気設備、家のDIY、壁のアップグレード、HVACのメンテナンスな...詳細を全部見るOriginal price ¥0 - Original price ¥0Original price ¥0¥29,500 - ¥34,800¥29,500 - ¥34,800Current price ¥29,500Save up to 0% Save %
Original price ¥0 - Original price ¥0Original price ¥0¥15,600 - ¥20,600¥15,600 - ¥20,600Current price ¥15,600
ピストルグリップとピボット4.5インチHDスクリーンを備えたTESLONGNTS300産業用内視鏡は、機械的検査、車の修理、配管の修理、電気設備、住宅のDIY、壁のアップグレード、HVACのメンテナンスなどに使用できます。これは、乾式壁を損傷することなく、スパークプラグの穴や壁の内側を通してエ...詳細を全部見るOriginal price ¥0 - Original price ¥0Original price ¥0¥15,600 - ¥20,600¥15,600 - ¥20,600Current price ¥15,600Save up to 0% Save %
Original price ¥0 - Original price ¥0Original price ¥0¥10,300¥10,300 - ¥10,300Current price ¥10,300
TESLONG MS450産業用内視鏡は、機械的検査、車の修理、配管の修理、電気設備、住宅のDIY、壁のアップグレード、HVACのメンテナンスなどに使用できます。これは、乾式壁に損傷を与えることなく、スパークプラグの穴を通して、または壁の内側をエンジンの燃焼室で見るなど、小さな領域の非侵襲的検...詳細を全部見るOriginal price ¥0 - Original price ¥0Original price ¥0¥10,300¥10,300 - ¥10,300Current price ¥10,300Save 0% Save %
Original price ¥0 - Original price ¥0Original price ¥0¥19,200¥19,200 - ¥19,200Current price ¥19,200
ザ Teslong NTS500B は、直径5mmのデュアルカメラプローブを備えた高品質の家庭用5インチ画面検査カメラです。デュアルカメラ内視鏡 -FrontView + SideView-より多くの角度の目視検査-古いシングルカメラ内視鏡とは異なり、この新しい内視鏡はプローブに90°のカメラ...詳細を全部見るOriginal price ¥0 - Original price ¥0Original price ¥0¥19,200¥19,200 - ¥19,200Current price ¥19,200Save 0% Save %
Original price ¥0 - Original price ¥0Original price ¥0¥7,400¥7,400 - ¥7,400Current price ¥7,400
第3世代USB内視鏡-従来の固定焦点内視鏡とは異なり、このカメラレンズは、スマートフォンのカメラと同じように、1インチでも100フィートでも被写体に自動的に焦点を合わせます。 5.0MP解像度カメラ-これは、当社の最高解像度の5.0メガピクセルで、より大きく、より感光性の高いCMOS光セン...詳細を全部見るOriginal price ¥0 - Original price ¥0Original price ¥0¥7,400¥7,400 - ¥7,400Current price ¥7,400Save 0% Save %